Educational resources to support the appropriate use of blood components and their alternatives.
Available on both YouTube and e-LfH, this animated video highlights the key steps for completing the pre-transfusion blood sampling process and is supported by relevant national transfusion guidelines. It is appropriate for all staff involved in the pre-transfusion sampling process and can be incorporated into competency training or as an additional, stand alone resource.
Blood component app
This is free to download and provides blood transfusion indication codes. It is based on relevant national transfusion guidelines for adults, infants and children, and neonates.
and please use our poster to help promote the app in your clinical area.
Clinical course: Non Medical Authorisation of Blood Components
The course costs £400 and is intended for senior nurses and midwives who are working towards making the clinical decision and providing the written instruction for blood component transfusion. This course was reviewed in May 2017 when it became a 3 day course.
Leadership in Transfusion
- Leadership - Mr Warren Scott (PDF)
- Assertiveness, Managing Conflict and Feedback - Ms Julie Molloy (PDF)
- How can social media aid delivery of patient blood management? - Dr Suzy Morton (PDF)
- Cell salvage / A team approach to getting your own back - Mr Malcolm Chambers (PDF)
- Leadership in Transfusion basic cases - Mrs Lianne Rounding (PDF)
- Advanced Transfusion case studies - Ms Julie Molloy and Dr Suzy Morton (PDF)
- South Central RTC O D Neg pilot project - Mrs Louise Sherliker (PDF)
- I would like to tell you a story about a boy; Harvey - Mr Malcolm Robinson (PDF)
- Journey of a Blood Bag - Blood Centre Processing and Testing - Ms Ruth Evans (PDF)
Paediatric and neonatal transfusion - your questions answered
- An introduction to blood transfusion in children including risks - Dr Helen New (PDF)
- When should I use Tranexamic acid for children? - Dr Andrea Kelleher (PDF)
- What about anaemia in small infants and neonates? - Dr Ruth Gottstein (PDF)
- When should I transfuse platelets and plasma for children? - Dr Elizabeth Chalmers (PDF)
- Patients voice - Ms Lauretta Ofulue (PDF)
- How can I implement PBM and guidelines for children in my hospital? - Ms Tracey Shackleton (PDF)
- The pre-administration blood component transfusion bedside check video, available via YouTube and e-LfH
- A drop of knowledge (PDF) and A wealth of knowledge (PDF) are under review and we would appreciate your feedback; please email your comments to email@example.com
- Framework for the provision of blood transfusion out of the acute hospital setting (PDF)
- Framework to support nurses and midwives making the clinical decision and written instruction for blood components (PDF)
- Non medical authorisation hospital policies and competency documents shared by:
- Demystifying blood groups (PDF)
- NBTC indication codes for transfusion - poster (PDF) *bookmark (PDF)
NBTC indication codes are currently under review and changes are anticipated; these resources will be updated accordingly on publication of the new codes.
- TACO Matters screensaver
- *TACO Matters flyer (PDF)
- TACO Matters poster (PDF)
- Taking a blood sample for pre transfusion compatibility testing (PDF)
- Blood Transfusion Bedside Checklist (PDF)
- *Laboratory best transfusion practice for neonates, infants and children - bookmark (PDF)
- *Transfusion of blood components for infants and children - bookmark (PDF)
- *Transfusion of blood components for neonates - bookmark (PDF)
- *No wristband, No transfusion (PDF)
- *Anti-D when and how much? (PDF)
- *Anti-D quick facts (PDF)
- Irradiation indicator label resources
- *Will I need a blood transfusion? (PDF)
- *Cytomegalovirus (CMV) negative blood components: Information for healthcare professionals (PDF)
- *Cryoprecipitate: Information for healthcare professionals (PDF)
- *Fresh Frozen Plasma: Information for healthcare professionals (PDF)
- *Is my blood transfusion necessary? (PDF)
- Irradiated blood components poster (PDF)
- Irradiated blood components screensaver (JPG)
- The strange case of Penny Allison - a YouTube video promoting safe transfusion practice, illustrating what can happen if local transfusion policies and protocols are not followed
- HDN Awareness (PDF) - for patients and healthcare professionals describing advances in the prevention and treatment of Haemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn.
*These may be ordered from the distribution hub
The following resources have been adapted and tailored to the specific requirements of hospice patients requiring transfusion. They have been produced in response to the National Comparative Audit of red blood cell transfusion in hospices 2016 and in collaboration with the staff from St Gemma’s Hospice, Leeds.
- BSH administration of blood components - a video summarising the key changes in the 2017 guideline
- Having a blood transfusion - a video explaining all patients need to know about having a blood transfusion
- Thromboelastography/Thromboelastometry (TE) toolkit developed by the North West Regional Transfusion Committee to support TE implementation in Trusts
- Learnbloodtransfusion e-learning
- Serious Hazards of Transfusion
- UK Cell Salvage Action Group