The Patient Blood Management Practitioner team support and promote blood awareness campaigns. A guide to running a transfusion awareness event is one of the many resources available on this page to help Trusts, hospitals and other healthcare facilities to run awareness campaigns.
Save One O D Neg a week was launched as a national campaign on 21st June, 2016 to encourage hospital staff to make a difference and 'Save One O D Neg a week'. Resources to help implement this campaign can be found in the O D Negative Red Cell Toolkit.
2015 Sickle Cell Disease
- Guide to Planning Events to raise Awareness of Sickle Cell Disease and Transfusion (pdf)
- A flyer to promote more black blood donors and organ donors
You're Rare - Be There (pdf)
- 6 posters in low colour or high colour raising awareness of when blood is needed, providing information for patients, relatives, medical and nursing staff and promoting resources available from the Sickle Cell Society for teachers, healthcare professionals and employers.
2012 / 2013 Do you know who I am?
These resources produced by the National Blood Transfusion Committee promote Positive Patient Identification as this check is a critical point in the transfusion process where errors can occur.
- Staff poster for use in general clinical areas where patients are wearing an identification band, for example in-patients (pdf)
- Staff poster for use in areas where patients may not be wearing an identification band, for example out-patients (pdf)
- Staff poster for use in areas where patients may be unable to confirm their identity, for example operating theatres, ITU (pdf)
- In-patient poster (pdf)
- Out-patient poster (pdf)
- Patient fact sheet (pdf)
2010 RhD Haemolytic Disease of the Newborn (HDN) - advances in prevention and treatment
These resources produced by the National Blood Transfusion Committee promote and support RhD Haemolytic Disease of the Newborn awareness initiatives.
- What is HDN? (pdf)
- Which antibodies are important in causing HDN? (pdf)
- Reducing the impact of HDN (pdf)
- Potentially sensitising events (pdf)
- Anti-D: when and how much? (pdf)
- Measuring Fetal Maternal Haemorrhage in RhD negative women (pdf)
- Sensitised pregnancies and RhD HDN: current management (pdf)
- Quick facts on HDN (pdf)
These resources are also available:
- Blood Groups and Red Cell Antibodies in Pregnancy patient information leaflet (pdf)
- Protecting women and babies with Anti-D Immunoglobulin patient information leaflet (pdf)
- HDN Awareness Booklet patient information leaflet (pdf)
- SHOT Bites No 2: Anti-D Lessons and Highlights 2015 (pdf) available from the SHOT website
- Anti-D module on LearnBloodTransfusion e-learning package