Transport provide a blood delivery service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As well as regular routine deliveries we offer hospitals an ad-hoc service when a top-up of blood is needed and a ‘blue light’ emergency service for urgently needed blood.
The Transport and Logistics Manager (TLM) is supported by an assistant manager (ATLM) and they are responsible for the provision of transport services by NHSBT drivers and through the national courier contract with TNT.
Resources Planning and Standards departments agree strategic change with stakeholders and manage:
- Transport for Tissue Services and Organ Donation & Transplantation
- Product data on demand / usage of service
- Master hospital delivery schedule
- General Medical Council (GMC) work and external transport provision
- Transport Management System (TMS)
Our continuous improvement
We regularly host events with transport management, drivers and our quality department to identify any areas for continuous improvement based on feedback from our customers.
Did you know?
- We make approximately 138,000 deliveries a year transporting around 2.2 million units of blood, platelets and plasma
- We make approximately 3000 blue light deliveries a year
- We collect approximately 1.6 million units of blood from donation sessions
- We employ approximately 320 people, over 260 are drivers
- Warehousing operates from 7 sites with approximately 30 staff