2018 Survey of Group O D Negative Red Cell Use
- To determine the proportion of O D negative red cells that are transfused to non-O D negative patients and the reasons for these transfusions
- To identify hospital practices associated with high use / stockholding of O D negative red cells and understand why this might occur
- To provide commentary on the distribution of transfusion of O D negative blood during the survey period
What did we audit?
- The fate of all group O D negative red cells issued to English hospitals by NHSBT using a snapshot approach covering a two-week period in 2018
- An organisational survey was conducted in participating sites to update information on policies and procedures along with stockholding in UK hospitals with respect to O D negative blood at the same time.
Who took part?
What did we find?
Tools to help improve practice