Hepatitis E Screening
NHSBT introduced hepatitis E virus (HEV) screened components on 14 March 2016 following a recommendation from the Advisory Committee on the Safety of Blood, Tissues and Organs (SaBTO). Following a review in October 2016 SaBTO have now advised the UK blood Services to move to 100% screening when practically possible. NHSBT are currently in the process of implementing 100% screening; selective screening will continue until this implementation process is complete.
NHSBT introduced HEV screened components on 14 March 2016 following rhe recommendations from Safety of Blood, Tissues and Organs (SaBTO). In October SaBTO recommended 100% screening when practically possible.
- SaBTO letter March 2016 (PDF)
- Letter to Hospital transfusion teams (PDF)
- Fact sheet for the introduction of HEV negative components (PDF)
- Information for healthcare professionals (PDF)
- Patient factsheet (PDF)
- Flow chart for clinicians (PPT)
- Flow chart for laboratory staff (PPT)
- Information for clinical and transfusion laboratory staff (PDF)
- Guidance for ordering on OBOS (PDF)