To be your supplier of choice for logistics operations
Transport provide a blood delivery service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As well as regular routine deliveries we offer hospitals an ad-hoc service when a top-up of blood is needed and a ‘blue light’ emergency service for urgently needed blood.
The Transport and Logistics Manager (TLM) is supported by an assistant manager (ATLM) and they are responsible for the provision of transport services by NHSBT drivers and through the national courier contract with TNT.
Resources Planning and Standards departments agree strategic change with stakeholders and manage:
- Transport for Tissue Services and Organ Donation & Transplantation
- Product data on demand / usage of service
- Master hospital delivery schedule
- General Medical Council (GMC) work and external transport provision
- Transport Management System (TMS)
Our continuous improvement
We regularly host events with transport management, drivers and our quality department to identify any areas for continuous improvement based on feedback from our customers. For example, we held an event focused on our delivery and collection reconciliation process to ensure we work towards a 100% success rate with deliveries and collections.
Leeds routine deliveries November 2016
Two major hospitals were added to the routine deliveries schedule, replacing self collection by the hospitals.
Driver recognition scheme November 2016
The scheme recognises NHSBT drivers with excellent driving styles when compared, to set safety and efficiency measures. In this way every driver can positively improve their individual measures, by adjusting their driving style. Monthly certificates are awarded at each centre.
Using bus lanes October 2016
We have gained widespread agreement with local authorities and councils to use bus lanes to make emergency deliveries of blood and blood products.
Did you know?
- We make approximately 138,000 deliveries a year transporting around 2.2 million units of blood, platelets and plasma
- We make approximately 3000 blue light deliveries a year
- We collect approximately 1.6 million units of blood from donation sessions
- We employ approximately 320 people, over 260 are drivers
- Warehousing operates from 7 sites with approximately 30 staff
Compliments we've received
- Thanks given to Birmingham transport from Birmingham Children’s Hospital Transfusion Department for blue light deliveries which supported high demand for products in theatres
- Oxford transport complimented by Wexham Park Hospital for their excellent service
- Colindale transport and Hospital Services thanked by an ex-member of Hospital Services for supplying blood products for their baby who was ill at birth.
What do our drivers do when they’re not at work?
Find out what Trevor Wright from Cambridge does.